National Diabetes prevention program (NDPP)
National Diabetes Prevention program – or National DPP – is a partnership of public and private organizations working to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
The partners work to make it easier for people with prediabetes to participate in evidence-based, affordable, and high-quality lifestyle change programs to reduce their risk of type 2 diabetes and improve their overall health.
This lifestyle change program is not a fad diet or an exercise class. And it’s not a quick fix. It’s a year-long program focused on long-term changes and lasting results.
A year might sound like a long commitment, but learning new habits, gaining new skills, and building confidence takes time. As you begin to eat better and become more active, you’ll notice changes in how you feel, and maybe even in how you look.
The lifestyle change program can help you lose weight through eating better and being more physically active. You will also learn how to reduce stress. All of these things will help reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes and of having a heart attack or stroke.
Call HCHN at 315-867-1552 to find out more information about this program.
Chronic Disease Self-Management (CDSM)
Living Well with a Chronic Condition is a FREE interactive 6-week workshop series that meets once a week to help people with chronic conditions such as diabetes, breathing problems, depression, anxiety, heart conditions, and arthritis. Sessions meet for 2.5 hours in local community settings across the region. Participants will:
- Gain support from peers that have similar conditions
- Identify stressors and learn new coping skills
- Learn better ways to talk to your family, friends, and health care professionals
- Find practical ways to deal with pain and fatigue
- Discuss ways to maintain and improve strength, flexibility, and endurance
- Set your own goals and make a step-by-step plan to improve your health and life
Diabetes Self-Management (DSM)
Living Well with Diabetes is a workshop series that will help you take control of your diabetes rather than letting it control you! Get more out of life by attending this free 2.5-hour workshop once a week for 6 weeks. Participants will gain support to:
- Manage symptoms
- Communicate effectively with your doctor and other healthcare professionals
- Ease frustration
- Fight fatigue and pain
- Eat healthier and read nutrition labels
- Keep blood sugar in check
- Make daily tasks easier
- AND…get more out of life!
Chronic Pain Self-Management (CPSM)
Living Well with Chronic Pain is chronic pain interfering with your daily activities? Join us for a FREE 6 week educational workshop series to learn how to live a fuller life with chronic pain. This workshop will give those suffering with chronic pain a community to lean on and tools to manage pain, including:
- Support from others with chronic pain
- Tools to manage symptoms
- Goal setting and problem solving
- Safe exercise information
- Way to cope with difficult emotions
- Ways to talk to doctors, family and friends about your needs
Freshstart (Smoking Cessation Program)
Freshstart is a group-based tobacco cessation support program developed by the American Cancer Society. Freshstart is designed to help smokers plan a successful quit attempt by providing essential information, skills for coping with cravings, and group support. Program participants choose a combination of techniques and cessation treatments they will use in their quit attempt. The Freshstart evidence-based approach helps participants increase their motivation to quit, learn effective approaches for quitting and guide them in making a successful quit attempt through information, activities, and discussion. The evidence-based components of Freshstart include:
- Motivational intervention activities
- Practical counseling (problem solving skills)
- Social support
- Education about medication and approaches to quitting
Freshstart is a 3-week program meeting 1 1/2 hours per week.